Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Leroy Niemann, this ones for you.

I usually get emails from an old guy that lived at my old work. I was bummed today to get one from his address that was from his son saying he had died during surgery on June 3rd. I sent him an email on memorial day saying I was thinking of him and the sacrifices his generation made during WWII and thanked him. I guess he never got it. He used to come to the service counter where I worked and would flip me the bird and I'd laugh as there was no finger there. He'd always bring me jokes on paper and email tons of them. We would argue routinely about politics as I'm a democrat and, well, he's not.

He came down one day and asked if I had a moment, and I joined him in a more private room and he showed me all the recently declassified documents about his coast guard unit that saw action overseas. He was now able to talk about it and couldn't hold it in. We talked for almost 4 hours. I was intrigued as he flew the same amphibian aircraft my gramps flew so it was like a connection to him. He would install and destroy radar sites on the islands off of Japan as a relay for ally ships in the pacific. He was a very nice guy, and I will miss him. He came down before I transferred and let me know that he was going to make it to the opening weekend of the WWII memorial in DC before he died and that it was very important to him as all the vets were kicking off so fast.

Leroy, I'm glad I met you and respect you as a man, and hope you can pass your jokes on to other deserving souls where ever you are. Thank you again sir.

2 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger Teo said...

he also took me on a cruise on a guided missile destroyer from san diego to la. it was crazy fun. we were gonna go on an aircraft carrier, but I'm glad I had the time i did. much love, much respect.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Teo said...

he also took me on a cruise on a guided missile destroyer from san diego to la. it was crazy fun. we were gonna go on an aircraft carrier, but I'm glad I had the time i did. much love, much respect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home