Monday, May 09, 2005

gotta rant

okay so i used to be an officer in the graphic design club in school. we would organize the events that would occur on campus throughout the year. I'm long gone but the professor that runs the group (who was absent most of the time i was in it) asked my roommate (not me) to do the shirts for this years portfolio review. It's now an AIGA sponsored event, which is the nationally recoginzed graphic design group. Heres her emails:

Hey Tim,

I sent this to Oui but it did not go to him.


PS. Our SAGA president found a place that can do T-Shirts for $5.00 each, but the we found that quality might not be good. They said for $2 more we can get better quality. I told the SAGA kids that they want good quality. So They have to decide on which company, you or them to use.--Just an idea, you can put your company name or number on the shirt as advertisement. These shirts will be going to professional (these are given to our reviewers for free).

Here are the specs.

Date is May 20th

50 total

Want more extra large sizes, but was thinking, 20 extra large, 15 large and 10 medium, 5 small (OR WOMANS MEDIUM)

One color
See example

My response to her was that I could NOT lose money on this and the cheaper shirts were probably what she should go for as they were severly undercut, even for our "buddy discount" usual. Well this correspondence happened april 8th and now it is may 9th and the event is next week. She hit oyie up today asking if we would do them. I let her know that we're not pros and that if she wanted special colored shirts (which she did at the time, the price would get marked up) she would still be responsible for paying for those. And since we were not pros that if we messed up a couple shirts, that those would be discounted but still be in the amount of the invoice. We never heard from her.

Now I got along with her husband swimmingly and got along with her....okay at the best. We worked together doing odd projects but I think she always saw me as the pot smoking guy that kinda played to my own tune, which i was and never hid that, but if someone had something to say to me and it was knowledgable, then i recognized that and respected it and did my best to work with it, no questions/comments. I'm competant and get along well with those in authority positions as I can speak to just about anyone if it involves work and that I have a say, as long as they were being fair. In this case she bypassed me altogether and probably didn't like what I had to say.

This is business and I'm not a student anymore. I won't be played because I WAS a student. I know what I'm doing now, and if you waited this long, it's not because I didn't respond to you. I did, and fairly gave you an offer and you never responded. Instead you went to Oyie, who admittedly prefers doing the hands on screening and designing, because he's good at it. I like doing that as well, but excel more in the dealing end. Well anyway she changed up her tune a bit. We'll do the shirts, but I'll be damned if she doesn't sign a contract (shit, she's the one that told us not to do work without a contract-she'll now get one, and will pay). It just pisses me off. She routinely dismissed me in school, and does it again now. I'm not going to be overly nice to her. Her hubby, no prob, he and I are buddies, but she can honestly kiss my ass if she thinks I'm cutting her a deal because she was the instructor/overseer to the club. Fuck that, she was never around and never assisted me in my 2 semesters as being an officer of that thing. I was on my own for the most part, and had way too many invoices I had to track down on my own to get paid then, without a lick of help from her. She wanted the shirts for 5 bucks, which i won't do. Not if an institution is paying for it. I told her I'd go down as low as 7/per if I could get the colors she wanted. She wanted specialized colors which would have bumped the price/per to 9, which prompted the no response. Now she needs them badly because of her poor planning and only needs them in one color, which i'm happy to do at 7/per. If theres any f'd up shirts then i'll discount THOSE shirts, not the whole load. If she got a problem, well, consult the contract, which I'll be writing shortly. Fooya, you don't like it, get the fuck out. Thats why we're called bridgesburning toots.

Aight, I'm done, hadta get that off me, as she ruined my chi for the evening. You gotta know our history of respect/no respect.

1 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Teo said...

cause it would be like 700 bucks. thats the only thing for around 200 put out. how many people am i gonna have to do business with that I really don't like, but will like their money?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home