Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I love me my museums

Went to LACounty Museum of Art. Met up with Byrd and me ma and got to shoot the shit with Byrd before we went in. He's like my surrogate gay uncle that I've loved like a family member since I was an ittybitty. Also a damn good artist. We started to get into the 2 hour line when one of the ushers grabbed us and ushered us to a line where there was no line, they just zipped us to the front door where we waited about 2 minutes. Place was crowded as hell inside. Good thing they copied all the artifact notes on another placard and put it in front and up high for the people like me that can see over others. I feel kinda bad about King Tutankhamun as this was a nice exhibit of ceremonial artifacts and the such. There was nothing that was normal everyday life, only the artifacts from teh tomb and he was royalty so this was primo stuff. My gripe is that this is someones tomb and it's been thoroughly desecrated. Either way everything was really beautiful, thats for sure. What ticked me off was that if they're going to have all this stuff, I wanted to see the bust or mask from tut's sarcophagus. Nope. They had a digital life size image of his full body ct-scan that changed from every level and had some of the funerary jewelry he wore. It was beautifully done. All the jewelry was awesome but he's considered a god, why wouldn't he have the finest? It was okay, too crowded. I couldn't wait to get out once I got to the last 1/3 of it, and the gift shop sucked. Tons of chotzkes, and nothing that even made me look at it too long.

We all then went to Callendars, which is an upscale Marie Callendars (not what you think really), pretty good restaurant that we usually hit after a show there. But I was happy and ate some good cajun trout. Check it if you really like ancient egypt as it's not a bad show at all, but it's not the Egyptian exhibit from the 80's when the whole shabang was here. Just get ready to wait in line.

4 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm planning on going to that sometime. Dunno when though. How much do tickets cost?
And I agree about them being jackasses for raiding the tomb. I wonder if in an unknown number of years from now, our cemetaries will all be dug up and shit. Terrible thought.
I do love Egypt though. I just came across my Egyptian money the other day. I should scan and post it.
~Joy

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh I'm so jealous! I've been harrassing my mom to buy tickets, even though they are a bit pricey ($25 weekdays, $30 weekends, joy), but it's cheaper than a trip to egypt. As for the bust, apparently they don't let any of that stuff leave egypt anymore, and let's face it, who can blame them? Did you read that article (nytimes i think) about the massive amounts of funding it took to get the exhibit in america, and the fuss over the corporate sponsership?

-marzia

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Teo said...

there were tons of corp types, i guess they were rubbing elbows and eating good grub, but there were tons and tons of them. Decent show, not great, VanGogh was the last one on this scale that I can say was pretty good.

And i didn't feel the need to share the pot with anyone else only him. When i pass out charity it's on the downlow

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger dean said...

sure I'll check it out with my girl later and too bad I can't see ya on Sat. ~

go check out my blog cuz I left a message for Darren and you!!!


have fun, my friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home