Friday, May 12, 2006

I'm damn close to wanting my $30 back

Tasty lobstah-back and I went to this show yesterday and well, I just don't know. Seeing the building next to the Santa Monica Pier was pretty cool. It's all shipping containers (that sit on ocean shipping liners) stacked/shifted on each other with a tent like vinyl in the negative spaces and over the roof. We rolled up to a line that was about 250 people deep. Well simply purchasing tickets online I walked right up to will call (2 people) and picked up our tickets and walked in. It's dark and very open with 30 foot ceilings inside the stacked containers and the first half dozen or so images were quite nice but I tell ya, all the images or people and kids with their eyes closed and hands out in some angelic pose, i was just left feeling kinda flat. There were films as well that I just couldn't get into. The claw thought that it was falsely trying to be really spiritual (thus bringing in hoards of spiritual people) and I can see that but we both agreed it was a thin guise of spirituality. I don't question the guys talent, as he is a talented photographer (maybe not the best filmmaker-if he directs the next season of lost I'd off myself). I just question his vision in this particular exhibit. Either way it didn't floor me, didn't touch me, and didn't particularly make me think. My biggest issue is that it had no soul. EVERY single image of people had their eyes closed. How can it have any soul if the peoples eyes were closed. All the animals had their eyes open. Plus the music was a bit overwhelming. Basically it was a really well set up/pretty Thanksgiving dinner that had no flavor. Aight I'm done. You decide for yourself but hurry it's closing Sunday.

ashes and snow

2 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this lady from work went, kinda said the same thing.

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this one's free:

http://www.productdose.com/2006/04/19/i-am-8-bit-art-opening/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home